How To... make Egg Candles for Easter - Red Ted Art's Blog

How To… make Egg Candles for Easter

| February 24, 2012 | 27 Comments

how to make candles

Welcome back to this week’s How To where I show you how to make a candle again – this time Egg Candles in time for Easter – so if your are looking for Easter Egg ideas, look no further! This is a good time to start planning your Easter Egg ideas, as you have to collect all your egg shells first and then you can decorate them or make these fun Easter candles. So you need plenty of time to prepare!! As you know, I have been on a candle making FRENZY recently – first I made and tested different types of homemade candle wicks and made some ice cube tray candles. Then I moved on to cookie cutter shape candles (car & star shaped) for my son’s birthday and FINALLY… we have these fabulous Egg Shell Candles. I got the idea from the fabulous Morning Sunrae and have been wanting to make these ever since I saw them. I think they will make great little Easter gifts too.

Visiting via Pinterest? Why not subscribe to this blog via the box on the top right hand corner in order not to miss out on any latest how tos? Or come and join me on Facebook - would love to hear all about your crafts and ideas!

easter candle gift

The great thing about my recent candle making sessions is that I used NO specialist equipment apart from buying some Borax to make the “best wicks ever“. But strictly speaking you can get away with out it. Though I recommend you do use it, or buy some real wicks.

Here we go

Materials: Homemade wicks, empty egg shells, left over (white) candles, crayons (for colouring), egg cups (for resting), some playdough or similar (for sealing), a pan (for hot water), a can (to melt the wax).

1) Make your homemade wicks.

2) Follow the instructions on “egg blowing“. Make sureyou rinse your blown egg out thoroughly   and let it dry inside and out.

how to make egg candles

3) Insert your wick – you can make the opening at the BOTTOM of the egg (i.e. the rounder bit) a little bigger to do this, as you will need to open it up anyway to pour in the wax.

homemade candles how to

4) At the pointy end “seal” your hole and candle wick with some playdough.

homemade candles how to

5) Turn upside down and nestly carefully but securely in your egg cup.

6) Make the opening at the round end a little bigger (maybe the size of your little finger nail). At first I used parchement paper as a funnel, but soon discovered that I could pour it in the egg without a funnel just fine. So it is up to you!

recycling old candles

crayon recycling

Pretty!!!

7) Meanwhile start heating your wax, by placing it in the can and the can in a pot of boiling water. Add about 1/3-1/2 a crayon per can of wax. I discovered that “mixing crayons” (e.g. blue and red to get purple) went horribly wrong and I ended up with a browny purple. I guess this is because crayons are not “pure” colours, even if they look it. So stick to one colour per can.

recycling old candles

8. Pour in your wax. Let it cool, pour some more. Wax contracts as it cools, so you will get quite a dip in your candle. You may have to top each egg up 3-4 times. A small hole will always remain at the end.

easter candles

easter candle craft

9) Let cool FULLY before carefully peeling off the shell. Sometimes the shell comes of really easily, other times it does not!

easter candle gift

easter candle gift

Top tip to finish them off – use a hair dryer to carefully smooth the surface and you can place the egg on a warm pot to melt the bottom a little and give you a flat surface for standing!

Done!

So, what do your reckon? Will you have a go at these homemade candles?  I think they are great fun and will be a great alternative to chocolate Easter eggs this Easter!

Tags: , ,

Category: Easter, How To's, Recycling

1. This is AWESOME! I can\’t wait to do this with my boys! I know that\’s a very generic comment but I had to let you know how cool I htink it is and that\’s all I can say- this is just awesome!

2. Kate says:

Thank you for sharing your great ideas! Hoping to find time to do this soon.

3. They are great Maggy….I am egg inpsired!! xx

4. Less Is More says:

That is awesome! You did a great job and they look so cute!

5. Irina says:

What a nice idea, and a great method to it…I am not sure if I’ll try those but definitely is on my list of things to do ( if not for this than for next Easter). I’ve pinned it.

Thank you for the kind comments! And yes, Irina, they can take a while to make.. but if you want to \”speed up the process\”, just make them all one colour.. in some ways changing the colours and having to have all those tins to hand is what made it a \”bigger\” projects… I just carried away!

7. Arty Lil says:

This is FANTASTIC! I would not of had a clue on what to do until I read from your Blog. Thank You x

8. Melissa says:

What a fun Easter project! Would love for you to link up: http://www.serendipityandspice.com/2012/02/manic-monday-7.html

-Melissa

9. wow, amazing! thanks so much for sharing on craft schooling Sunday, the chicks are great too!

10. Aly says:

Ah! Actually they are different to how Martha did them.I\’m going to make these and I have another idea from a Pagan book.Candle making is so addictive :D

Ooh I am curious now as to how Martha did make them!!

And Melissa, coming to link now!

12. I\’ve been thinking of making some beeswax candles with the kids this year, using egg shells. So, well timed tute! Thank you. I\’ve definitely picked up some great tips ?

13. Sharilyn says:

Very nice. Was wonderin if you have any St. Patrick\’s Day ideas? Would love to see something. Thanks!

14. Jayne says:

I\’m so glad I read this! I have 17 days booked off to coincide with Sausage\’s Easter holiday from nursery and I\’ve promised her lots of crafting. We\’ve already got a plaster of Paris Easter egg kit to do but I love these candles and we have SO many half dead crayons laying around that would be perfect for this! Thanks so much for sharing!

15. My list of things to make over the next few months is ever increasing! Love these. There’s something beautiful about curved smooth shapes.

16. Zylo says:

I love how these turned out. I think they would make a fun decoration for Easter or a color-themed event. I just wanted to let you know that I added it as one of my 5 favorite crayon tutorials on my website roundup. Great job!

17. They look great – and the tip about not mixing colours is very handy – that’ll save me a lot of heartache!

18. Jeanne says:

I have lots of crayons and my daughter and I made candles and they didn’t burn properly. I love your ideas but can you tell me did you use beeswax, paraffin wax or soy way for the base candle? Thank you for your reply.

I used “ordinary” candles from our advent wreath and melted them down. You have to take care *some* readers have suggested this is dangerous. But I have never had a problem.

19. Carrie says:

We have boxes of beeswax candles leftover from church worship after they get too short to burn. This would be a perfect activity for our older kids at church. We might do this next year though, to give me time to do a trial run. Thank you!