Kids Crafts: Grass Heads - Red Ted Art's Blog : Red Ted Art's Blog

Kids Crafts: Grass Heads

| April 4, 2012 | 77 Comments

grass heads for kids Spring activitiesWelcome back to Kids Get Crafty – this week we have our very special Grass Heads – Bill & Ben the Flowerpot men…. we made the grass heads about 3 weeks ago now.. and have been watching the hair grow and chop chop chopping it and trim trim trimming it off. Red Ted LOVES them! He was a bit sceptical at first (he saw my old tights in dismay), but soon was rather pleased with out Grass Head creations. They are a perfect craft for Spring, but you can make throughout Spring and Summer – maybe a nice project to help keep Summer boredom at bay?

Materials: a some old tights (I used some anklets), earth/ compost or sawdust, grass seeds, things for decorating – we kept ours simple, with a nose (you will need cotton),googly eyes and a felt mouth.

grass head spring crafts

1) Put 2-3 generous table spoons full of grass seeds at the bottom of your tights. I held the tights open. Red Ted scooped! Pip Squeak ran off with one of the tights and wasn’t to be seen again. She had her own world play time with them!

gardening with kids

grass heads

2) Then add a lot of earth until you have a nice sized ball. Tie the bottom of the tights. Shape into a ball if necessary. (PS see – both my hands – Red Ted (4) took the photo!)

grass head

3) Pinch a “nose”, twist it and wrap and tie in place with cotton. This was quite fiddly, but we got there in the end.

spring crafts for kids

grass heads

4) Glue on googly eyes and mouth with PVA.

grass heads

5) Place in a yoghurt pot or similar – we had a paintedflower pot (with no holes). Add water and the tights will “soak the water up” into the earth. If you want to speed it up, you can give the head  a quick shower under the tap to moisten the earth the first time round. After that take care not make it too wet. Place in a sunny spot!

spring crafts for kids

grass heads

6) Wait for hair to grow. Make sure you don’t keep the head too wet – we did at first, which meant that the mouth fell off and that the googly of didn’t dry properly for ages. It also means your grass head can get mouldy. So your head should feel moist but not soggy. Basically just add a little water to the pot every so often.

grass heads

7) Cut your hair. Again and again!

grass heads for kids

Look at how much Red Ted likes them:

spring crafts for kids  grass heads

grass heads  grass heads

I reckon the Grass Heads are a success! Let’s see how long we manage to keep that hair growing!!

Spring activities

Join the Kids Get Crafty linky party! Each week Creative with Kids and Red Ted Art host this kids craft linky, bringing you more readers and more ideas to browse!

Disclaimer: by joining the Kids Get Crafty linky – you give us permission to highlight any projects on Red Ted Art and Creative with Kids or share your craft ideas on Pintrest – we will always link to your site!

If you have been crafty with your kid’s be it at home, in the kitchen or outdoors, please link up!

Tags: , , , ,

Category: Gardening, Kids Craft, Nature, Spring

1. You always have the cutest ideas! Love the Grass Heads!

2. Kelly says:

Love their noses, we loved making sprout heads too :-)

3. Brittany says:

I love your grass heads! How fun! Thanks so much for hosting! Have a Happy Easter with your family! :)

4. Rebecca says:

They look so much fun and really cute.

5. Mami Made It says:

I always loved grass heads! That\’s fun for kids and adults.
    Happy Easter!

Thank you! Grass Heads really DO make us HAPPY! I think we will be making them every year now – especially as Pip Squeak *finally* decided to give hers a hair cut today! Hooray for growing things and cutting hair.

7. What a great idea – we don\’t use a lot of eggs so these would be a great way to do this instead :D.

I love the googly eyes (J has just commented saying he NEEDS to make those today!)

It always makes me grin when a child says I \”NEED to make\” something. SOOOOO cute!! If you have grass seeds at home… maybe you can? I had to ask a neighbour for some!

9. Tasha says:

Love these! Really must try them with Milo – he loves gardening and watching things grow and googly eyes of course! :)

10. sunnymama says:

So cute! Love the pictures of Red Ted looking after his Grass Heads. It would be really lovely if you\’d like to share this with our spring carnival. :)
    sunnydaytodaymama.blogspot.co.uk/2012/02/all-year-round-blog-carnival-spring.html

@Tasha googly eyes totally make everything soooo fab!

@Sunnymama of course, thank you :-)

12. Very cute Maggy! I couldn\’t believe how fast cress grows when we grew some. Its amazing xx

13. Patricia P says:

Oh, I have to do this with my kids! They\’re great!

14. I LOVE the BIG photos! YAY! Gorgeous

15. Maggy – the noses on these crack me up! I can\’t wait to do this with the kids. Thanks for the inspiration!

@Emma – isn\’t it amazing how fast it all grows?!

@Anna – thank you – you really HAVE been on Mat Leave – after our chat I switched to big photos straight away!! Have had them a while now ;-)

@Krissy -hooray! hope you have lots of fun!

17. I am ashamed to say I have been looking out for grassheads for some time now. Thought they\’d be cheaper than a new pair of tights! But after seeing this I am determined to get some ladders in my tights and thus not feel like I\’m wasting a perfectly good pair!

P.S. I have lots of brightly coloured tights (left over from numerous fancy dress outfits at uni…but I still wear them on gloomy days!) – how about hairy monsters? Think I have green, red, purple and yellow. May be best with sawdust tho to show the colours best.

Oh yes, I so know what you mean. I was almosted delighted when I spotted a ladder!! :-) And yes yes yes!! Use the brightly coloured tights. I don\’t think you would notice the colour that much and if you don\’t really need them that much anymore…?

19. Natalie says:

They are beautiful! What a great idea. Nice pictures too!

20. I love your grass head men!!! The grass head photoshoots are too funny!!

21. Jen says:

Love the grass heads. What a fabulous idea.

22. Isil says:

Oh my these are so lovely and I really like your photos Maggy. Well done!

23. Your photos are so hilarious and awesome! I love the chalkboard photos as if he were a child!

24. Tammie says:

Amazing! Just yesterday I almost paid money to buy something like this at Lowe\’s. So glad I didn\’t as this would be much more fun to do as a family!!

25. Annie says:

That is so insanely cute and fun! I am off to dig out some old tights today!

26. amie says:

way cute… we may have to start these this week while on spring break!

27. GREAT project and great photos which means you\’ve earned yourself a feature! thanks so much for sharing on craft schooling Sunday!

Oh you are LOVELY! Thank you Sara! :-) *BEAM*

29. Amie says:

Great post! Love the chalkboard in the background. An oldie but a goodie. Thanks for linking up to the Kids Co-op!

30. thanks for sharing this fun idea on the sunday showcase. I haven\’t begun any gardening yet but I know the girls would love this – trimming the hair would be a sure hit around here!

I am featuring this as one our fave links of the week!

Oooh thanks for featuring @Bernadette!!! The Grass Heads are definitely a great way to get you started in the garden! So much fun and so easy!

32. So happy to see your grass head guys at our Outdoor Play Party! I will be sharing this on my FB Page, The Golden Gleam.

33. Judy says:

Oooh, I’ve been wanting to make these with my boys for a while…just have to buy the grass seeds! Thanks for the reminder :)

34. We have one on the go, too, that Sweet Pea got as a birthday present. It is a lot of fun and the ‘hair’ just keeps on growing! (and thanks for sharing at the Outdoor Play Party!)

35. sunnymama says:

Thanks so much for sharing this with our spring carnival. :) Just wanted to let you know that I featured your post here: sunnydaytodaymama.blogspot.co.uk/2012/05/all-year-round-week-eleven-7-spring.html

Oh how lovely! Thank you so much!

@Jane – aaah what a lovely Birthday Present!! :-)

37. Oooh thanks for reminding me of this activity… think we might make some over the school holidays.

38. Anna says:

what a fun idea, can’t wait to try this with my kids!

39. Damson Lane says:

These are fantastic, such a great way to get children interested in how things grow and how to care for plants.

40. becky says:

Love and adore specifically the speech clouds!

41. Valerie says:

I love the ideas on this site! I was wondering, I am doing craft fairs this summer and I wanted to make sure before I took any ideas from here if I could use some of these ideas to make craft kits for the kids? I would be selling them so please let me know as soon as possible. The money I would be asking for them would just cover the supplies pretty much, but the fun it would give the children would be priceless! If possible could you send me a private email so I don’t miss the message? Thank you and have a great day!

42. Monica says:

Wow, I love this idea! Thanks for sharing! I am a Young Adult Librarian at a public library and I am thinking about doing this activity with some middle school-age children. I am wondering if it would be possible to use some of your photos for advertising purposes. Please let me know if I may have your permission. Either way, thanks again for sharing this great idea :)

43. Keith says:

i got curious as to how long Red Ted kept it alive.

Ooh I think we had ours 4-6 weeks? I think you can keep it much longer than that… but we went on holiday and the neighbour forgot to water it!

44. Ana says:

Super fun! I love the nose and bright red smile!

45. Hi! Just featured this great activity on my new grass crafts round-up. Thanks for the inspiration! http://craftulate.blogspot.com/2013/05/peekaboo-grass-8-other-grass-crafts.html

46. Sandy- mom2rowdyboys says:

Love love love! Can you tell I love it? On our to-do for this week! Yay for summer and for cool folks like youuu! (Btw, I was gonna say I dig it, as I often say, but thought twice). :)

47. Nadia says:

I remember these from my child days! Need to do it with my kids, it is adorable!

48. Jennifer Berendt says:

So cute. We will use catnip.