Welcome back to Kids Get Crafty – this week we have our very special Grass Heads – Bill & Ben the Flowerpot men…. we made the grass heads about 3 weeks ago now.. and have been watching the hair grow and chop chop chopping it and trim trim trimming it off. Red Ted LOVES them! He was a bit sceptical at first (he saw my old tights in dismay), but soon was rather pleased with out Grass Head creations. They are a perfect craft for Spring, but you can make throughout Spring and Summer – maybe a nice project to help keep Summer boredom at bay?
Materials: a some old tights (I used some anklets), earth/ compost or sawdust, grass seeds, things for decorating – we kept ours simple, with a nose (you will need cotton),googly eyes and a felt mouth.
Either watch the Grass Head Video How.. or check out the step by step photos!
1) Put 2-3 generous table spoons full of grass seeds at the bottom of your tights. I held the tights open. Red Ted scooped! Pip Squeak ran off with one of the tights and wasn’t to be seen again. She had her own world play time with them!
2) Then add a lot of earth until you have a nice sized ball. Tie the bottom of the tights. Shape into a ball if necessary. (PS see – both my hands – Red Ted (4) took the photo!)
3) Pinch a “nose”, twist it and wrap and tie in place with cotton. This was quite fiddly, but we got there in the end.
4) Glue on googly eyes and mouth with PVA.
5) Place in a yoghurt pot or similar – we had a paintedflower pot (with no holes). Add water and the tights will “soak the water up” into the earth. If you want to speed it up, you can give the head a quick shower under the tap to moisten the earth the first time round. After that take care not make it too wet. Place in a sunny spot!
6) Wait for hair to grow. Make sure you don’t keep the head too wet – we did at first, which meant that the mouth fell off and that the googly of didn’t dry properly for ages. It also means your grass head can get mouldy. So your head should feel moist but not soggy. Basically just add a little water to the pot every so often.
7) Cut your hair. Again and again!
Look at how much Red Ted likes them:
I reckon the Grass Heads are a success! Let’s see how long we manage to keep that hair growing!