Scottie Door Stop & Free Dog Patterns : Red Ted Art's Blog

Scottie Door Stop & Free Dog Patterns

| January 18, 2013 | 80 Comments

Well ever since I saw Me and My Shadow’s home made door stop how to a few weeks ago, I have been obsessed with the idea of converting a pair of old (crazy) trousers that belong to The Englishman’s youth into a Scottie door stop. Dog patterns were surprisingly hard to find. Free dog patterns even harder. So I browsed some old toy making books I have from goodness knows where, looked at Scottie Door Stops available for purchase online and fiddled mine own pattern and instructions.

Scottie Door Stop Pattern

Our little Scottie

I shared my finished Scottie Door Stop and asked whether you wanted the pattern. Yes you did. One lovely reader, even tested it for me. And YAY it works just fine (and wasn’t just a fluke on my part).

So I retraced my pattern and scanned it. And you are more than welcome to download it for free!

Free Dog Patterns

**REMEMBER TO ADD a 5-10mm sewing allowance** and to “nip” your seems at the pointy bits, so it easier to turn the fabric right side round**

Please note: I am not a graphic designer, nor am I competent in editing skills, so the pattern itself, is ahem, mediocre in scanning quality – sorry – but it works JUST FINE to make lovely Dog Door Stops!

Please note 2: I only started sewing 2 years or so ago. I am not a pattern creator or writer, nor am I a skilled sewer…. which means, I fiddled what I did. I have shared HOW I sewed our door stop, but you may find a cleverer way of doing so. When my lovely reader tested it, she agreed with my “methodology”. See the last page in the PDF for the “assembly”.

Scottie Pattern 3

Dog patterns

So. For you. For fun. To sew!

Tags: , , , ,

Category: Gifts, How To's, patterns, Recycling, Sewing

1. Tracey G says:

He’s so cute, I don’t need one but I sooooo want one, he’s lovely, thanks for the free pattern x

2. Sian says:

oo thtt’s so lovely – I know just the person who’d love one of those for her b’day! thanks for sharing : )

3. So adorable! I even have some tartan…

4. Jane Louis says:

Brilliant! Thank you so much :) x

5. Cat says:

I love it! I think my mom had cat or bunny when I was a kid. The Scottie is so cute!

6. Jane says:

I think he’s lovely. Can’t wait to start, what do you stuff it with to make it heavy enough for a doorstop?

7. Liz Burton says:

He’s just gorgeous (does he have a name yet?) I need to make one of these now!

Uhm, Scottie?! Or Dog? Red Ted isn’t very good at naming his pets!!

9. Miriam Davies says:

Thank you for the freebie Scottie dog pattern I have made my first one and love him. I now have several requests from family to reproduce him : ) x

10. Christephi says:

Thank you so much for sharing this pattern! I used it to make a cutie Scottie for a little boy’s first birthday party. Come see mine on my blog. :-)

11. Beckie says:

How cute! This would be a very nice gift idea. Thanks for sharing!

12. K says:

Well, if you aren’t delightful and clever! I’m wasting time here, trying to keep my nerves down before we start for the airport, and I stumbled on you through pinterest and now I’m very happy. Reading you is like chatting with a very good and cheerful friend, and my cortisone levels have dropped. And beside that, I’m going to make a Scotty – when I get back. Assuming the world doesn’t blow up.

13. Hilary Armitage says:

How kind of you to share this! I saw a tweed Scottie dog in a trendy coffee shop priced at £35 and I have enough Harris tweed left over from a skirt to have a go. Thank you sooooo much.

14. Mealy says:

Finally got round to making one the other day. Had to use a combination of stuffing for the head part and a kilo and half of rice to the body. He’s a bit floppy in posture at times but hubby thinks he is every impressive and professional looking. Think another one may have to be made for mother in law’s birthday next week!

15. Mealy says:

Thanks! Forgot to say!

16. Lynn says:

Thanks for the free pattern, can’t wait to sew one up!!

17. Too cool! I’d love for you to come link up to this weeks House Party! http://www.firsthomelovelife.com :)

18. maria says:

So cool! I liked this so much that I have meant to have go myself for a while and I finally got round to it. Thanks for the pattern and the instructions are so easy to follow that even I managed to complete the project:)

19. Ali says:

Thanks so much for sharing this pattern. I’ve made one for my friend. Your pattern was really easy to follow. I’ll definitely be visiting you again.
    Ali x

20. Ruth W says:

Oh I have the perfect fabric and can’t wait to sew a new friend! Thank you for the pattern!

21. Natalie says:

Many thanks for the pattern, so easy to follow, i have a pretty black with pink flowers scottie dog, something tells me i will be making more as my family and friends love him. I have to check her whereabouts before they leave lol.

22. Sarah says:

I made a Scottie dog for my school summer fair it took no time to make and looks great. Thank you for the pattern.

23. Vickie says:

Thank you for cheering me up. ive had a unproductive week trying to make a dress that won’t work no matter what I do and rather that pull my hair out I looked for free patterns and I found you Scottie dog, I’m on my 3rd today!! Thank you again xx

24. Angela says:

Thank you for this great pattern. I am onto number two now!

25. sharon nicholas says:

thankyou so much for sharing a great pattern and very generous of you !!!

26. Hi I really love this pattern. Please will you be willing to give permission to use it to teach my students how to sew. I will give you full recognition for the original.
    Allison

27. jULIA aHUIR says:

I have made it and even floppy it looks amazing but what do you advise for the filling? Rice? One of the comments said that she used filling for the head and something different for the body … I realy need to weight it as I realy want to use it as a door stop.
    Thanks so much in advance if you could help me here

28. Thank you for sharing your pattern. I was thinking of making a pattern but it will be less stressful if I use yours :-)

29. Kelly Hope says:

I really want to make this but cant seem to download it, is there any chance you could send me via another way?

30. Karen Kane says:

Oh I love the free pattern, thank you soooo much I am going to make one for my friend for xmas…

31. Lizzie says:

Thank you, I had been searching high and low for this type of pattern. Making for my daughter at uni missing our dog as a ‘Dog is for life, not just Christmas’

32. Punum Tewari says:

I like your scotty dog pattern I have cut out peices but am having difficulty in understanding instructions to make it up as I can’t find any.

33. martha says:

Thanks very much for sharing this pattern. I have made few scottie dogs to gift them to my friends and neightbours. I Would like to invite you to see them in my blog but please take note that I have changed the pattern to make it more easy because I am not good as you in sewing. Thanks for the attention from Martha from Rome Italy. Check fermaporta in the labels which means doorstop. CIAO Martha

34. Louise says:

Thank you for sharing your pattern with the public. It’s very kind and generous of you. I want to make this cute little Scottie Dog and give it to my great-grandson for his birthday. I would like to know how tall {from the bottom of his feet to the top of his head (?)} and how long from the tip of his tail to tip of his nose he will be when he is finished if I make it right by your pattern. Thanks, Louise

35. savannah whitsitt says:

So cute, I had to make two!

36. Barb says:

Got the pattern. Thanks! Didn’t get any directions could you email them. Would be greatly appreciated.

37. Jennifer maney says:

Hi
    I really love this Scottie but I can’t download the pattern is there any way you can send it to me another way

Regards. Jennifer Marney

38. Jennifer Marney says:

Hi
    I love your scottie but am unable to download the free pattern is there any way you could send it another way

Regards

Jenny

39. Sue Sleep says:

Hi, wonderful cute looking Scottie but also can’t download, would also appreciate it by email when you return home. My 10yr old Grand-daughter wants me to help her make one. Cheers Sue.

40. Sue Sleep says:

Hi, my apologies I just found it, so have just printed it, thank you so much for free Scottie pattern, Cheers Sue

41. Dawn says:

Your scottie looks so cute and I can’t wait to make many. Could you advise rough length and height dimensions and do you have any idea how much fabric is needed to make one (ie a quarter of a yard)? Thanks

42. Donna says:

Thank you for putting your pattern up, when I sew the thing together and turn it right side out.

I find that under it’s legs it seems to look rouged up/sort of bunched up, not flat.

I wondered if you knew what I was doing wrong.

43. Donna says:

Thank for putting the pattern up it is great, I wondered if you could help me please.

When I turn it right side under the legs the fabric looks roughed up/slightly bunched up like it is caught.

It you could me some advice that would be great.

When you sew a “curve” into a fabric, it helps to make little “snips” into that curve, to help it bend? So on th wrong side, make a snip from the edge of the fabric up to the seam itself. Does that make sense?

44. suz says:

Thanks so much! I was actually looking for a stuffed horse pattern, and I think I can convert this one without too much trouble.

45. christina stain says:

Hi I dont seem to be able to find the scottie dog template would you please be able to email it me. Thank you

46. mrs stitches says:

What a lovely door stop! Is the pattern still available please? I love reading your comments – it’s like chatting to a friend!

47. Szabados Veronika says:

Thanks for the tutorial!
    We ( I and my 2 small daughters /3 and 1 year old/) have done 2 dogs. They have stuffed the dogs with soft and light material, so we have 2 soft and cute dog-toys. My older doughter applied a collar to her dog. :-)

48. Jcpenny says:

I cannot find the patter, would you be able to email it to me? Thanks