We are hurtling towards the most magical season of the year: Christmas. Explore these Advent Calendar Ideas to see how you can make the big “count down” to Christmas special. Remember, advent calendars do NOT have to be about chocolate and toys and gifts… but I love some of the ideas discussed in this video – from decorating windows and branches to filling your advent with activity ideas. In the advent calendar ideas video we of course also discuss how to make your own calendars – from knitted, to newspaper, to loo rolls… lots of ideas – something for everyone! Also, we have a post from a couple of years ago, where 24 bloggers each share an activity for every day of the advent season. Let yourself be inspired by their Advent Activity Ideas and pop notes into your calendar! Also, we share our own Family Advent Traditions (that go beyond “just” the calendar). Have you got traditions typically to YOUR family?
Advent Calendar Ideas
Advent Calendar Ideas Links
1. Paper cup Advent Calendar – here is a nice printable for the numbers
2. Little Bags in a Basket (watch the video at 1min 45sec)4
Best memory maker – Photo Advent Calendar (not in video!)
Printable Countdown Snowman – one printable, lots of ways to use it – from Bookmark to greeting card!
3. Artwork Advent (video at 2min 35sec)
4. Felt Stars (video 3min 40sec) from Red Ted Art, Cute and Easy Crafts for Kids
5. Toilet Paper Fairy Houses (4min 40sec into the video)
6. Zing Zing Tree shares the super simple but effective newspaper cones – and using your advent calendar to hang decorations up with the kids (5min 10sec into the video)
8. Toilet Rolls and tissue paper make a super quick and effective (7min 15sec)
9. Or make Toilet roll “triangles” (7min 35sec) …. all by the wonderful Zing Zing Tree
10. Knitty Mummy shares her knitty tree with ADORABLE little knitted ornaments, super cute!… at 8min 47sec
11. Knitty Mummy also makes the cutest knitted fairy light calendar (including a plug!) 9min 55sec
12. Me and My Shadow shows the “classic” matchbox calendar – decorate and “throw” into a vase and done! (10min 34sec)
13. Me and My Shadow also has some super cute upcycled “mittens” hanging from a stick. I love that they make looking for the stick an annual tradition (12min 15sec)
14. Peakle Pie has some great “counting up” and chocolate free ideas – first we have little leaves on a branch – add one each day (13min 55sec)
15. Next she talks about upcycling last year’s Christmas cards and making simple tree ornaments with your children. A great opportunity to practice your numbers! (14min 55sec)
16. Finally Peakle Pie shares a super sweet Stained Glass Window idea – add a stained glass picture every day, creating a bigger picture as you go along. So festive indeed! (15min 53sec)
17. Last but not least we have Here Come The Girls have adorable little snowmen pegs from packing noodles and envelopes (17min o6sec)
18. Here Come The Girls also tells us about wrapping your Christmas Books and reading one each day (18min 25sec)
19. Kids Chaos shares sweety paper bags and simply decorated pegs (including free printable!!) which is great for older boys! (19min 10 sec)
Here are more Advent Calendar Ideas from around the web!
20. Here is a handy Free Printable Calendar from Living Locurto. Nice and easy and looks great!
21. Tinkerlab has some simple homemade envelopes (+activity ideas) that the kids helped make.
22. Check out this super sweet paper doll advent calendar (+ activity list) from The Artful Parent.
23. The Artful Parent also has a wonderfully arty Christmas Tree Calendar.
24. Kirsty Wiseman shares this wonderful Peg Calendar.
25. I have always adored this Advent Calendar from se7en , as it reminds it isn’t about “things”, but about just looking forward to the day and seeing the decorations being revealed.
26. The Madhouse shares adorable little Advent Calendar Boots (+activity ideas).
27. I love the simplicity and yet festiveness of this Advent Calendar Tree from The Imagination Tree.
28. Similarly, The Imagination Tree’s simple but effective felt pocket calendar.
29. And just one more…. this gorgeous TP Roll Advent Calendar via Fun Crafts Kids!
30. And finally.. we have a fab Count Down Printable for you to check out!