We have made a Simple Origami Butterfly before, but this easy paper butterfly, I think is indeed EVEN EASIER! Strictly speaking these are not “pure” origami, as there is a little cutting involved, as well as the need for a little bit of string or glue. But I still think it is a great paper craft for kids and a wonderful introduction to origami for beginners as it uses some basic origami folds. You may also love to see these ecclectic and easy butterfly crafts!
These paper butterflies can be used in lots of different ways – turn them into a darling butterfly mobile, decorate your wall. Make small ones and add them to an Alice band or brooch. Decorate a photo frame or glue on top of an Origami Box as a pretty DIY gift box. I would love to hear what ideas you have for using these lovely easy paper butterflies!
These easy paper butterflies where first published in Feb 2017 and have been republished for your convenience
Paper Butterfly – materials:
- a square sheet of paper (we used origami paper, but printer quality paper or thinner works great too. It doesn’t matter too much how big your paper is, but ours was approximately 15cm x 15cm)
- a piece of ribbon, wire or thread
Easy Paper Butterfly How To:
In essence the video is a great help for showing you how to make these butterflies, but I will add simple written instructions below it!
- Begin by cutting your square piece of paper in half
- Take one piece and fold it in half LENGTH ways.
- Open it up and fold in the corners, so you have a rectangle with pointy ends.
- Fold in half again – coloured side facing out.
- Now you need to “concertina each side”. Our concertinas are approximately half a centimeter wide.
- Now take the second strip of your origami paper and start folding it into a conertina across the short width.
- Fold both pieces in half.
- Tie with a ribbon or thread and secure.
- Your easy paper butterfly is done!
My kids REALLY LOVE creating concertina paper – I have no idea why it is so appealing to them, but any craft involving making a paper concertina always fascinates them. So this paper butterfly craft is just the thing for them. It is a great way to help them concentrate and follow a simple pattern and introduces the basis of origami for kids. I think that the resulting butterfly craft is simply adorable and looks far more complicate than the craft actually is! I hope you enjoy this paper craft as much as we do!
Easy Paper Butterfly
- Paper – 15cm x 15cm
- String for hanging
- Cut the square paper in half
- Take one piece and fold it in half LENGTH ways
- Open it up and fold in the 4 corners to meet the
central fold, so you have a rectangle with pointy ends
- Now you need to concertina the paper. And then fold
- Now take the second strip of your origami paper and
start folding it into a concertina across the short width. Fold in half
- Tie with a ribbon or thread and secure. Finished!
If you liked our easy paper butterflies, you will love this extensive set of origami for kids – check out all the ideas here: