We had so much fun with our previous Paper Plate Whirligigs that we thought we would combine one of our favourite Chinese New Year Craft for kids with our love for Paper Plate Twirlers: a printable Paper Plate Dragon Twirler for Preschoolers to make this Chinese New Year. A wonderful Chinese New Year Printable for Preschoolers! We have adapted our Paper Dragon Puppet to fit our Paper Plate twirlers.. and if I say so myself, I think they look fabulous. I can just see a family of Paper Plate Dragons hanging from the ceiling in reds, greens and yellows!
As the Chinese New Year 2018 is the year of the dog, you may also enjoy this great set of Dog DIYs!
Paper Plate Dragon Whirligig – Materials needed
- One paper plate per Dragon Twirler
- Red paint (or any colour you wish.. great colours for Chinese New Year are red, yellow, green and blues)
- Your FREE Paper Dragon Printables
- String & stapler for hanging
- Pens for colouring
- Brushes for painting
Sign Up to our Newsletter first.. then download your printable:
—–> Once signed up, get your FREE Paper Dragon Printables here!!!! <<—-
How to make a Paper Plate Dragon Twirler step by step instructions
- Paint your paper plate a lovely Dragon Red. Of course your dragon can be any colour – green, yellow, or maybe a mixture of colours to represent the scales.
- Let it dry and paint the reverse side.
- Whilst waiting for the paper plate to dry, you can start colouring your Paper Plate Dragon Twirler Printable – we have a 3D Dragon head, tail and some feet for you to print and colour.
- Colour in whatever way you wish – use crayons, pens, watercolours! Whatever takes your fancy.
- Cut out your details – do NOT cut the head or the tail in half. You need them to be joined. If you carefully FOLD your head and tail in half, you can cut the two halves in one go – saving a little time.
- Once your paper plate is dry, get your scissors and cute a spiral into your Paper Plate to make the Dragon Whirligig. It should look a bit like a snail.
- NOTE: the thicker your snail twirls the more compact your Dragon tree will be.. the thinner.. the more “elongated” it will be. It is a style preference!
- Take a piece of string and tie a knot one end. Then staple it into place.
- Next you glue your dragon’s paper tail to the top of your dragon– make the string stick between the two dragon tail halves.
- Now “assemble” your head. You will need to glue the bottom of your dragon face together.
- Then add a little glue to the top of the nose and glue that too.
- Now glue the paper dragon’s head to the bottom of your whirligig…. you can add tissue paper for FIRE if you wish.
- Finally add your legs.
ALTERATIONS: I think these paper plate Chinese New Year Dragons would look amazing with a set of spines – cut triangles and stick.. OR as mentioned above, have fun with colours when painting your paper plate to begin with!!!
Hope you like this Chinese New Year Printable as much as we do!!! Happy Chinese New Year!
I think you will also love our simple Dragon Paper Puppet:
More fabulous Chinese New Year Craft ideas:
Do check out our Dog Crafts for Kids – to celebrate the Year of the Dog this Chinese New Year:
More Paper Plate Whriligigs from Red Ted Art
- Christmas Tree Twirler
- Autumn Tree Twirler
- Dragon Whirligig for Chinese New year
- and now of course the cute Paper Plat Star Whirligig