Pom Pom Fox DIY
LOVE POM POMS???? Well.. we are Pom Pom DIY Ideas MAD here at Red Ted Art, my daughter was given a Pom Pom Making Kit last year (for those interested – US/ UK*) and she keeps making all these lovely little creatures. I thought it was time for me to share another Pom Pom Making Tutorial with you today. Today it is a Pom Pom FOX DIY for Autumn. We love Foxes – so cute and such pretty colours – a perfect Autumn Accessory for all. You can also turn the fox pom pom into a backpack charm (are your kids into this big Fluffy Pom Pom charms (check them out here US/ UK*) too? Nevermind buying those… make your own fabulous and unique pom pom fox diy charm!
These Pom Pom Charms, would also look AMAZING with our super duper CUTE Pom Pom Hedgehog!
*affiliate links added for convenience
First published in Octoer 2017 and updated for your convenience!
Pom Pom Fox DIY Charms – Materials
Please not affiliate links added for convenience and may earn me a small comission helping with the upkeep of the site.
For the Pom pom Fox DIY
- Orange wool
- White wool
- a pom pom maker (we love using these US/ UK – but you can also use this Cardboard Pom Pom making method)
- red and black felt
- a little white paint
- strong lue (we LOVE this one US/ UK)
For the charm
- Wool in contrasting colours
- Bakers twine (optional) – I love this black and white one for Autumn US/ UK
- A key ring of sorts (e.g. US/ UK)
How to make your Pom Pom Fox DIY Charms
To make your Pom Pom Fox DIY Charms, you will have to make three things:
- your pom pom fox (more to that below)
- a quick and easy diy tassle (I have a great little video on that here)
- a mini pom pom (just for fun and to mix things up a bit), I actually made the mini pom pom with my fingers, but this how to make a pom pom with a fork method would be just right for it too. JUST REMEMBER: to tie off your pom pom with some strong bakers twine!
And now to the super duper CUTE bit.. how to make a Fox Pom Pom!!!! Yay. I have a great Fox Pom Pom How To video.. but also some step by step instructions below!!!
Fox Pom Pom DIY Step by Step Instructions
- Begin by wrapping 1/3 of your pom pom maker (whether you are using a pom pom maker OR a cardboard disc) in white wool. Wrap it nice and thick
- Now wrap the remaining 2/3s of your pom pom in orange. If you are using a pom pom maker, be sure to get it into all the corners too.
- Cut your pom pom
- And tie off your pom pom with some wool (if you are using the DIY Fox as a pom pom charm, maybe use some bakers twine to tie off, as it is stronger) – make sure the KNOT of your “tie off” is position at the top of your fox face.. so opposite the 1/3 of white
Shaping and decorating your pom pom
- Now tidy up your pom pom a little with scissors. The more you “cut off” the tighter and neater” your final pom pom will be. You can save your cut offs as stuffing for small felt ornament projects. You can also shape the front a LITTLE to make slightly raised area for the snout (the video shows this a bit better.. but it is not an essential step)
- Next, cut triangles for ears – mark with a black pen to make them “fox like”
- You can now, cut two tiny circles for eys – use a little white paint and a toothpick to add that “shine”.. or use tiny beads
- Cut a small heart for the nose
- Glue all your felt pieces on – use good PVA glue to do this
And your little DIY Pom Pom Fox for Autumn is FINISHED.
Now to turn it into a charm.. all you need to do is add some colourful beads and knot it onto your Keyring!
If you enjoyed this cute fox diy.. you may also love our little Pom Pom Hedgehog:
And we have plenty more BRILLIANT Pom Pom Crafts for Pom Pom fans: