As you know we are a GREAT fan of lovely soft and squshy Yarn Pom Poms and have made many Pom Pom Crafts over the years. When making pom poms with the kids, we found the Clover Pom Pom making technique particularly handy, but… sometimes we can’t FIND our clover pom pom makers. They are clearly **somewhere** in our house, but I just don’t know where they are. Never mind! I know 7 Pom Pom Making Techniques! One of which I wanted to share with you today – how to make a Yarn Pom Pom with Cardboard Discs! and once you have made all your pom poms. Check out these wonderful Pom Pom Crafts & Ideas! SO CUTE!
Making a pom pom with cardboard discs is probably the most traditional method of making pom poms. And in many ways the easiest way to make pom poms with kids (if you don’t have a pom pom maker). There are other methods to – like making a pom pom with a fork or making a pom pom with just your fingers. But the “tie off” from those CAN be a little fiddlier. So it all depends on how niffty you are. I have shared the other above mentioned techniques in this great Pom Pom Making Techniques post! Do take a look!
So after all that rambling.. on to our pom pom tutorial!
How to make a pom pom with cardboard discs – materials:
- A piece of cardboard
- A circle template (eg a glass)
- A small circle (eg a coin)
- Pen & scissors
- Yarn/ wool or the desired colour!
How to make a pom pom with cardboard discs:
As always you can watch the super handy how to make a pom pom video.. or you can follow the written instructions below!!! Remember, we have LOTS of “Craft Basics Hacks and Tricks” over on our YouTube channel for you to browse.
Here are the step by step instructions:
- Cut our two large circular disc – using your glass as a template
- Draw a smaller circle in the centre. The distance between the inner and outer circle will determine how big your pom pom will be. Make sure this smaller circle isn’t too big. If it is too big it will be harder tie off at the end.
- Cut slit from the outer circle to the smaller one and cut out the smaller one too.
- Cut a second slit -so you have an opening to your cardboard ring. This will make it MUCH easier to wrap your yarn pom pom. Repeat for second disc.
- Put both cardboard discs together. This is your basic pom pom maker using cardboard discs!
- Start wrapping your yarn. The THICKER you wrap you yarn the flufflier will be your pom pom.
- Once you are happy with the amount of yarn used to make your pom pom. Start cutting the yarn, by pushing your scissors between the two discs. Yes it can be fiddly and a good pair of scissors makes all the difference.
- Make sure you short pieces of yarn do not “fall out” of the central hole.
- Carefully wrap a long pieces of yarn between the two cardboard discs and around your pom pom. Tie off as tightly as possible. Repeat (just to make it extra secure).
- Pull your pom pom out and done!
You have made your first yarn pom pom with cardboard discs!! Well done! As you can see you don’t really need a pom pom cardboard template – as you can easily create your own. Experiment with circle sizes to make different sized pom poms. Making pom poms with a fork, usually results in smaller pom poms. Making pom poms with fingers, usually results in bigger pom poms! If you are looking for more techniques of how to make a pom pom without cardboard, do look at the links below!
Once you have finished your pom pom, his is a great how to make a pom pom for a hat tutorial.
7 Pom Pom Making Techniques (check out the giant pom pom!!!)
25 Gorgeous Pom Pom Crafts and Ideas:
Enjoy your pom pom making!!!