Easy Remembrance Day activities for Preschoolers – we have some yummy Poppy Cookies for Remembrance Day that preschoolers can make. They can be sold as a Remembrance Day fundraiser or made “just because”.
As you are maybe aware, my kids are still quite young, so it is a little tricky to explain to them the significance of Remembrance Sunday coming up.
They have noticed people wearing the symbol or Remembrance Sunday – poppies pins. And have asked some questions. As both Grandpa and Daddy were in the army, I think it is important to explain this as simply and openly as possible.
And to make it a little, uhm, more memorable.. we decided to take a look at some Remembrance Day Activities and to make some Poppy Cookies (these would be a great fund raiser too I think).
We used our favourite sugar cookie recipe:
- 300g Plain flour
- 200g Butter
- 100g Sugar
- Icing sugar
- Red food colouring
- Chocolate buttons
How to make poppy cookies for Remembrance Day
1) Mix your ingredients.
2) If it is a little dry, you can add a splash of milk, but you shouldn’t can you purchase cialis online need it.
3) Roll out. We used a small glass to cut out our cookie shape. As I wasn’t sure what would look most effective, we made some round, in some I made two little indents and in some 4 to signify petal leaves (the paper poppies you wear are made of 2 large paper petals).
4) Cook in pre heated oven (180C) for 10-15min until they start turning golden or brown around the edges.
5) Let cool fully
6) Mix red food colouring with your icing sugar and a little water. Thicker is better, but The Girl wanted it runnier… so runnier we made it…
7) Decorate your cookies (we tried to make petals) and add your chocolate button to the centre. Done.
Sell at a school fair to raise money or and enjoy, but be sure to remember!
You may also like this Handpainted Sugar Cookie technique for older kids:
More Preschool Remembrance Day Crafts & Resources
Check out more amazing Remembrance Day Activities for Preschoolers here: