How to make Autumn Leaf Bowls (Guest Post) - Red Ted Art's Blog

How to make Autumn Leaf Bowls (Guest Post)

| October 1, 2010 | 58 Comments

Lori at Fun Art 4 Kids has simply the most amazing kids craft blog. She comes up with so many different fabulously cute ideas and sorts them by age groups, which makes it a really handy reference blog. PLEASE do go and take a look!

She has VERY kindly agreed to share these FABULOUS leaf bowls with us. Although she says that these are for 4th graders, I think that these are for any age group. I simply adore them!

Lori suggest making them in a Kiln, but we had a go with airdrying clay, it does mean that they are more fragile and the final “look” is different, but you can have a go at home!!!  I followed the instructions below. Let air dry for 3-4 days, painted it with acryclics (with Red Ted) and used an acryclic varnish for sealing. This makes it ornamental, rather than for use with food. If you have an oven proof bowl, maybe this works with salt dough? Check out mine below!

Over to Lori:

I love these fun fall leaves. They are quite easy to do if you are fortunate enough to have a kiln at your
fingertips!
  1. Start with a fist sized lump of potters clay.  Review and complete wedging of the clay as usual (to prepare it from air bubbles, etc.) [for some tips on removing air bubbles, see this post here]
  2. Simply roll the clay into 1/4″ slabs using rolling pins and two guide sticks which help you get an even result.
  3. Place a large leaf over the clay- facing up so that the veins are down.  You leaves as big as your hand- spread wide.  Roll the leaf twice to press the design into the clay.
  4. Use a sharp trimming tool (thin/long nails, an opened thick paper clip or better clay tools work well here) to cut the outline of the leaf shape.
  5. Smooth the rough edges with one finger and a bit of water.
  6. Lay some plastic wrap, a paper towel or a thin cotton cloth inside of a disposable paper bowl. Lay your clay leaf inside of the bowl and gently press it down to take its new shape.
  7. Dry for several days and kiln process as usual.
  8. I love to use Sax colorburst glazes for fantastic fall results! https://store.schoolspecialtyonline.net/OA_HTML/xxssi_ibeSearchResults.jsp

Have fun with this one!

And here is mine, that I made with air drying clay & painted with acrylics, I let Red Ted paint it. On reflection we should have done a little “paint splashing” with a contrasting colour over the red, but I still think it looks nice:

Linking, amongst other fabulous craft parties found here to Get Your Craft on.

Here are some basic materials from Amazon.com (affiliate)

Tags: , , , , , , ,

Category: Autumn, Gifts, Gifts That Kids Can Make, How To's

1. maria says:

They are simply gorgeous, we will definitely have a go. Thanks

Maria – aren’t they just? We loved making ours and some friends saw it when visiting and said they wanted a go too! Will try it out with Salt Dough and see if it works too – main thing is finding a nicely shaped ovenproof bowl.

3. How adorable and festive. I’m not sure my toddler will like them, but I may just have to make some for myself. :)

4. Very cool idea. I love that you can do these things with kids.

5. Lori says:

Thanks redted! I love your idea to try the other clays…very clever. Much appreciation on your post. Love to share! Have fun with these and other ideas.
    funart4kids

6. Quite lovely and fall inspired. Beautiful painting and glazing.

7. have some air drying clay and this inspiration is just what I was after. My girls are going to love it.. . . . thank you

8. Judy says:

How fun! I love that you imprint the leaf bowls with real leaves! Too cute!

9. Theresa says:

I saw this project at It’s so very Cheri. I love it. I have a older children and this is the kind of project they would love.

10. Lisa says:

These are very pretty! I actually did something almost exactly the same in a ceramics class in college. Love them!

11. Hey Maggy,
    6yo is DESPERATE to make these, so we will get out the clay at the weekend when we have friends staying… a great activity for all ages!
    Will report back
    Ali
    x

Oooh Ali, that is fabulous! We want to make more too!!! Was such fun!! And the results so good for so “little” effort!

Maggy

13. I’ve never actually done anything in a kiln. Hard to believe after all these years. What a great experience for the kids!

Thanks for linking up to Passion for Paint! Hope to see you next weekend!

14. Lucy says:

these are great! love them

15. Sarah says:

So great! Beautiful!

16. Yanet says:

I’m partial to the red one because it’s my favorite color. But the are all so pretty. Great job!

17. wow those are so cool can’t wait to show my oldest these!

18. Hanna says:

Hi! I’m your newest follower from the Wednesday link up. Lovely blog:) You can find me at http://www.bouffeebambini.blogspot.com

LOVE these leaves

19. Jennifer says:

Wow, these look great and all grown up! Love that you made them yourself. I do not have a kiln either so the air dry method would have to work for me too. They are really beautiful! I am visiting tonight from It’s so Very Cheri.

Jennifer

20. Lei says:

I’m here from it’s So Very Cheri… and these are just incredible! Fabulous work!!!

21. JDaniel4's Mom says:

These are wonderful. I love the way they turned out.

22. J. Hill says:

This tute got the most views at this week’s Mad Skills party, so I will be featuring it and your blog tomorrow morning. Grab a brag button if you would like one!

madincrafts.blogspot.com

23. B says:

These look really great! Thanks for the post!

24. GeorgiaBE says:

What a super fun idea! Thanks for the post!

25. Nichol says:

These are great! I would love to make them sometime.

26. Michelle says:

This is such a great idea.
    I haven’t seen this craft before.
    Thanks for sharing.

27. Brandi says:

Those are SUPER cute! :)

28. Amy says:

Thanks for linking up this great idea.. Have a wonderful weekend.

29. Widge says:

These are beautiful!! i want a kiln now

30. Beautiful – I love leaves and these are beautiful.

31. Kristy says:

Those are really beautiful! Here from Lamb Around!

32. Audra says:

That’s fantastic. If only I had a kiln.

33. Catarina says:

So Lovely!
    I would also like to introduce you to my blog: http://nolugarquechamocasa.blogspot.com

Hope you’ll follow back!! :-)
    Catarina

34. Sophia says:

Awesome craft work! I liked how the colors blended on the leaves. So pretty. Let’s swap craft ideas. You can hop on my blogs at http://www.makemania.com and feel free to promote your cool craft projects!

35. Wow, those do look easy, and the results are awesome.

36. Ally says:

Wow – these are gorgeous! Thanks for linking them up to momstown.ca!

37. Amanda says:

Hi Maggy :) got this featured on Fun Family Crafts http://funfamilycrafts.com/autumn-leaf-bowls/

38. I made one of those at school many moons ago, and forgotten all about it! Lovely. xx

39. Kay. Shirley says:

My 4th graders just made these. We are going to fire them at our local high school. I know this is a dumb question but we need to fire them before we use the glaze? I ordered the glaze you used and we can’t wait to finish them. Please let me know the order firing and glaze.I have used the kiln but we usually just paint them with acrylic. Thanks ! Kay

Hi Kay, I am so sorry – this was a guest post and I am not a glazing expert…. but from what I remember from my pottery courses I *think* you add the glaze and then fire?