How To Dry Orange Slices : Red Ted Art's Blog

How to… Make Dried Orange Slices & Craft Ideas

| November 18, 2011 | 62 Comments

A very quick craft for you – how to dry orange slices for Christmas. I love the “rustic” look of dried oranges – they are so simple and yet so cheerful and Christmassy. I have only really had time to dry our slices and to hang them by a ribbon (I do actually think this looks quite lovely that way), but I have also selected some orange slice crafts below for you to be inspired by!

Orange Slices

But first to the quick “how to make dried orange slices” – it is really straight forward:x

Materials: Oranges (haha), an oven (really?) and a knife (of course)! An oven rack (the big secret!)

how to dry orange slices

1) Slice your oranges approx 1cm wide

how to dry orange slices

2) Place on a rack (if you put them on a tray they will *really* stick) in the oven at approx 120C (250F)

3) Leave for 2-3 hours. Turn 2-3 times and keep checking on them. I had to make two batches as I burnt the first lot (the oven was too hot). Turning (especially at the beginning) them will prevent them sticking from the rack.

how to dry orange slices

Once cooled, add a ribbon and hang! Add fairy lights as a “back light”:

how to dry orange slices

I found my were still slightly moist, but ready for crafting with and that over time they dry out completely.

And here for another set of crafts (links below)!

orange slices orangenscheiben bateln adventskranz orangenscheiben basteln orange slice crafts orange slices crafts orange slices crafts orange slices decorations orangenscheiben zimt basteln

Oooh and a lovely tree from a reader on twitter (www.twitter.com/@SineadGray)

1. A GORGEOUS garland by Design Megillah

2. A traditional advent kranz (version 1) select tab 21 by Wunderweib

3. Traditional advent kranz (version 2) by Bastelspass

4. Gypsy Daisy makes another easy and fun garland. Combine it with berries

5. A wreath by Bastelideen.info

6. Simple table decoration by Bastel Elfe – collect and scatter!

7. Anis Decoration from Canadian Country Woman

8. Cinnamon & Orange Decoration by Bastelideen.info

9. Gift embellishment by Lea

So… aren’t all these orange slices simply divine? Fancy giving it a go? Why not make it part of your advent activities with your kids?

Tags: , , ,

Category: Christmas, How To's

1. They are so pretty! I never knew you could make them! Off to give them a go! x

Hooray! Have fun – involve the kids if you want – a great one to do together!

3. Esther says:

Wow! I like the one with back light! I guess the whole house will smell like oranges! I love the orange aroma!

4. Aadel says:

This is so cool! I love the smell of oranges at Christmas time. It reminds me of the oranges and pecans we would always get in our stockings.

You might think about linking this or another crafty post up to Natural Family Today’s Holiday Homemade gift list!

It can be any kind of homemade gift or decor.

-Aadel

It does look rather nice with light, doesn’t it?! And yes, whilst I was drying them we did indeed have an orangey smell in the house. Very festive!!!

6. Lindsi B says:

This is sooo gorgeous! I love these! So festive, and I bet they smell fantastic! Yummy!

Could you please link this post on my blog? I’d love to share it with my readers too!

Have joined both your link up parties! Thanks for the invites ladies!

8. I used to make these in high school! They are so pretty hanging on the tree! Maybe the kids and I can make some this year =)

9. Ruth says:

I tried these last year. and failed. will try again, maybe I cut them too thin?

Possible? Also, did you put them on a rack AND turn them? I do find that that helps.. I did burn one batch (oven too hot). I think slowly slowly?

10. I love the idea of this. Thanks for sharing!

11. Nicki Cawood says:

I couldn’t remember where I saw this post so sliced, put them on a tray and set the oven off at 180. Oh the mess!

Will try again now I’ve found (and saved!) this post lol!

Nicki fear not! I burnt my first batch too!!

13. Nicki Cawood says:

Define “burnt” …….
    *Scrapes gooey black mess and curses*

14. Nicki Cawood says:

I know that now lol!
    I’ll let you know how I get on when I buy more oranges!

(and I do hope you managed to get your tray clean!!! Sticky messes not good!)

16. Thanks so much for sharing all your great projects on craft schooling Sunday! I’m hoping to finally try this for The Jewish New Year of the Trees in February, so thanks for the inspiration!

17. Christine says:

WOW!!! Do they smell after??? I can just imagine the wonderful citrus scent! :)

They do smell a little… but not like fresh oranges do…

19. Lani says:

Hi, I was wondering how long these last before they start to go bad or mouldy? Do you have any idea?

If done properly, they shouldn’t go mouldy – i.e. if they have been fully dried they should day that way. If you are worried that yours haven’t dried 100% then make sure that at the end of the season you pack them in a way that they can continure drying, e.g. loosely between newspaper. Then just check on them now and again.

20. Ally says:

Thanks for linking to momstown.ca!

21. Amanda says:

Great idea! How many ornaments are you getting from 1 orange?

22. thanks for this – I have been wanting to ‘make’ these orange decos for a while and stumbled across your post today – bet they smell lovely ‘cooking’ too don’t they? Shall be trying this weekend :)

23. Melitsa says:

I just made some this week for our tree. I left them out and they dried in two days. Fab! Bit of colour for the tree.

Ooh how lovely Melitsa, am so pleased!!

25. Erica says:

Could I do the same with apples?

I haven’t tried.. I suspect that it would work, but that they shrivel up more and loose their shape, so wouldn’t look as nice?

26. I love these! I made them years ago when I was really into Country Prim decor and put them on my Christmas Tree. My style these days is more shabby chic, cottage but I am going to make these again for bowl fillers. They smell wonderful!

27. Justin Stubbings says:

Thank you I had 2 disasters but have got the hang of it now. I’m doing huge garlands to hang in the kitchen with holly, Ivy pine cones and your wonderful orange and grapefruit slices

28. Elaine Croft says:

I just lay mine on a baking tray and put them in the airing cupboard for 2 days, they have come out perfect and no risk of burning them :D

29. Kareem says:

After I initially ledt a comment I appear to have clicked
    on the -Notify me when new comments are added- checkbox
    and now each time a comment is added I get four emails
    with the exact same comment. There has to be a way you are able to renove mme from that service?
    Many thanks!

30. Do they still smell orangey? And does this work with limes? I don’t mind them being smaller, I just prefer the smell of limes to oranges! Random question but hope you can help! Than you :)

The smell isn’t overpowering – well whilst they are cooking you can smell it, would say less so afterwards. Should work with limes, but don’t know how well they hold their colour!

31. Stephanie says:

I like it. I dried orange slices a few years ago. It’s much easier using a dehydrator. They still look great.

32. Susanna says:

8-year-old just looked up hw ow to make these yesterday. good timing! x

33. Jacki says:

About how long would you put them in a dehydrator? and how would you keep them from sticking? I assume you’d rotate the trays too?

34. marilyn smith says:

While they are drying, lightly sprinkle with ground cloves on both sides~~they smell heavenly!