Easter Baskets for Kids - Papier Mache Hen : Red Ted Art's Blog

Kids Craft: Easter Baskets

| March 6, 2013 | 37 Comments

As mentioned already last week, we went to a little Hobbycraft event a couple of weeks ago and left totally inspired. Last week was all about decoupage for kids, this week is all about papier mache!! Basically, we saw some adorable little hen and bunny baskets for purchase and thought “ooh could MAKE that” and asked Hobbycraft if they would mind us doing so. They said “go ahead, anything that gets people crafting is good by us”! Hooray! So the design is by “them”, the “process” is by “us”. Thank you for letting us copy it.. and if the craft below is too much work for you, pop over to Hobbycraft and just buy it!

Easter Crafts Tissue Paper Mache Baskets

Materials: Papier Mache paste (we made our own, see below), tissue paper in the required colours (ALL our tissue paper is recycled), balloon, brush, felt pieces (craft foam would be great too), feathers (optional, you could use felt too), wider ribbon for “handle”.

To make papier mache paste: mix 1 part flour, to 2 parts water – microwave at full eat. Keep stirring every 1minute or so, until you have a thick paste, let cool

Note: making papier mache from flour means that it has yellow/ cream colour – which means that if you use white tissue paper for your craft like us, you will not get a “brilliant white” finish. If you do want a white white finish – use store bought paste. We however didn’t mind!

1) To help us get a neat ish edge, I drew on a line of where to papier mache – note the little bump at the front for the face! The pen DID come off onto the finished basket, which we the trimmed off. So do bear that in mind when drawing it on.

Easter Basket Craft for kids

2) We decided to use paint brushes for this session, as my kids have decided they don’t like the feel or papier mache paste. So I guess… we are doing “decoupage” but with papier mache! Same principle – use your brush to apply the glue, add a layer of tissue and then add more glue on top – soaking the tissue through. Pip Squeak (3yrs), helped me make a white baskets for a hen and a pink basket for a bunny. Red Ted (5yrs) then got interested and did a blue bunny… I would have loved to “only” do the hens, as those are the ones that (!) really liked, but the this was about what the kids wanted to do!!

3) Apply a good 4-5 layers if not more – tissue paper after all is thinner that newspaper and will need to be stronger. Take special care to have a thick layer around the edge – as this gives your basket structure later on.

Tissue Paper Mache Easter Crafts

4) Let dry on a plate – prop up if necessary.

5) Once dry, carefully pop your balloon – peel off all the bits and trim your baskets.

6) Then get your embellishments – we used felt and feathers and some pompoms. I cut all the bits out the kids glued them on. This is a time when “cheap acrylic” felt is better, as it is quite stiff and will “stand up”. Better quality felt is quite floppy. If you have floppy felt, just stick a layer of card behind it first. Or use some craft foam instead. Add feathers for wings – or cut wings from felt. The bunnies got pom pom feet and cotton wool tails.

Easter Craft Basket - Tissue Paper Mache

7) Finally, make some small holes, thread threw some bright ribbon for a handle and you are all set to go Easter egg hunting!!

Easter craftsJoin the Kids Get Crafty linky party! Come and share your crafts with or for Kids.. we would love to see what you have been up to!

Have you made any Easter Bunny crafts yet? What about some Easter baskets?

As featured by Fun, Crafts, Kids!

Tags: , , , , ,

Category: Easter, Kids Craft, Recycling

1. I love these Maggy, very very cute!

2. Claire says:

So lovely and colourful. What child wouldn’t LOVE these over Easter?

3. These are so cute! I am ashamed to admit that R used an old shopping bag for our egg hunt last year. (And I call myself a crafter!) You’ve inspired me to get something better sorted this year.

Awe! So pleased to have inspired!!! I wonder what you will make :-) (and nothing wrong with a shopping bag.. needs must and all that!)

4. These are so cute! Love the bunny one!

5. So sweet and original. Love them! :-)

6. Oh these are so cute! It reminds me of the papermache baskets I made in school many years ago when I was a kid. I can still remember having fun making them all these years later. :)

7. Carrie says:

These are so cute!! If we have time we will try to make them!!

8. Mum of One says:

They look fantastic! Not sure I am brave enough for paper maiche yet though!

9. PragmaticMom says:

Wow, those papier mache baskets turned out amazing! You could totally sell those!

10. Rebecca says:

Oh they are adorable. Molly isn’t very keen on paper mache but maybe if I showed her these….

Hi Rebecca – mine are the same because of the “mess” – I found they liked using the paint brush as an alternative?!

12. These baskets are so cute.

13. Rachel says:

I just adore these baskets Maggy! They are to cute! Thanks for sharing at For the Kids Friday! I’m featuring them in this weeks party! I love having you joining us each week! xoxo

Ooh how lovely! Thank you, I do appreciate being featured!! Always fabulous!

15. Genny Upton says:

Thanks for linking up to Tuesday Tots! I am featuring your post this week on In Lieu of Preschool: http://www.inlieuofpreschool.com/easter-activities-for-kids/ Please feel free to stop by and grab a featured button. Off to pin!

16. Lovely! We have to try this! I’ve always used wall paper glue for papier mache but we’ll give your recipe a try!

17. Jean says:

Love the idea but, why not cover the whole balloon and get two out of one when you cut on the middle line?

Yes, good idea – I guess you just end up with a slightly different shape. Ours are round bowl shape. And doing it your way, would give you an oval. But why not!

18. Amanda says:

These are so cute Maggie! I will feature them on Fun Family Crafts :)

Awe thank you Amanda! And really, I need to get into the habit of submitting again! So sorry I haven’t done so for a while!

19. Hazel says:

Made the paper mache baskets – a triumph. Paper mache-ing is so much fun. We needed to add newspaper layers as tissue paper just didn’t seem thick enough. They are brilliant though not sure who is more impressed me or the kids! Also made some stone people today – my first craft from your book – well we made animals actually but same effect!

20. Just love these. Can’t beat a good bit of papier mache

21. I’m the Editorial Assistant for Fun Family Crafts and I wanted to let you know that we have featured your Easter project! You can see it here:

IThanks for another great project idea!