So… my kids see me knitting and crocheting on a semi regular basis and are soooo keen to learn. Red Ted is 6yrs old and Pip Squeak is 4yrs old. I think Red Ted is JUST old enough to learn how to knit, but Pip Squeak is still a little young. So I thought we should start with how to finger knit first. Finger knitting is a great activity, as you can do it anywhere and any time. Take it with you on a long car journey or sit on the sofa on a lazy afternoon. Make LONG things, or short things. Use up odds and ends of wools or make something brand new. What I also love about Finger Knitting for kids, is that it teaches them disciplin, pattern recognition and following instructions. It can only being great things for their right/ left brain development. So I was keen keen keen to get them going.
We first had a go at Finger Knitting last Summer (6 months or so ago) and they both did quite well, but of course needed supervision with every step. Then a couple of weeks ago, Red Ted wanted another go. And with in minutes he got the hang of how to finger knit. His little sister sat by patiently watching her big brother master finger knitting. Then a week later, SHE wanted another go. And you know what.. aged 4, she totally impresssed, as she suddenly got the hang of it. Yes, I still help her “cast on” her finger knitting and “cast off” her finger knitting.. but we have the crux of it. Fabulous.
How to Finger Knit Video
Now you have mastered Finger Knitting, what do you actually do with it?!
Finger knitting produces a “sausage” of knitted wool, that looks a bit like the out put of a Knitting Nancy or French Knitting Doll – except it tends to be bigger and looser.
- The kids mainly make “scarves” and what they call “socks” for their toy animals. Pip Squeak even made a scarf (one long sausage) for herself and added pompoms to the ends.
- Make a Flower (great as a brooch or hair piece) – we folded it up into petal shapes and KNOTTED them in place with the left over pieces of wool. No sewing needed! Then glued on a little yellow centre!
- Use your finger knitting to make a junky Pillow
- Love the look of this Rainbow Scarf made from Finger Knitting strands
- Love these Animal Scarves using Finger Knitting! There are not “detailed” instructions, but check them out anyway, I reckon we can figure it out, right?!
- Finger Knitting “head band” and accessories.
- Finger Knitting Ornament Idea
Featured over on the fabulous new Fun, Crafts, Kids website!