Oh yes, it is APPLE CRAFT season again. How I love apples as a craft theme for kids. They are beautiful… and I love the bright reds and greens. Today, we are revisiting Air Drying Clay Projects for Kids and turning them into some wonderfully easy and adorable Apple Pinch Pots. Pinch Pots are super easy for kids to manage and look great. I can imagine that these easy pinch pots would make a great class room activity or activity at home.
It is great for fine motor skills, feels wonderful and makes for a lovely end product… and you know what? They make great little gifts for kids to make too. This is the time of year, we love to craft both because of the season, but also because we can start “stock piling” some little homemade Christmas gifts the kids can give later in the year. So… let’s learn how to make pinch pots for kids!
You may also like our fun Monster Pinch Pots that we made last Halloween!
Apple Pinch Pots for Kids – Materials needed
- Air drying clay – you can use the natural grey or brown air drying clay, or you can buy the “prettier” white air drying clay too. We love using the natural earthy colours, making this a wonderful “back to basic craft” for kids.
- Paints in desired colours – we used red, white, brown and green and we used both Enamel and Acrylic paints – simply because those are the paints and colours I have “in”. If you don’t have acrylic paints, you can use ordinary poster paints and add some glue, to give them the extra shine and strength. You **MAY** need two layers though. I LOVE using enamel paints for air drying clay, as they give a lovely smooth finish and dry super quickly!
- We used these enamel paints (Red and Green) US/ UK and this acrylic paint (White and Brown) US / UK (affiliate links)
We like to buy clay in bulk – and usually get clay like this:
- grey clay (US/ UK) (the best for buying in bulk)
- terracotta clay (US / UK) (great for earthy projects)
But this white clay is also popular
- white air drying clay (US/ UK) (a lovely clay for when you want that clean white finish without painting, however it is MUCH more expensive and therefor best for small projects such as ornaments)
(affiliate links added for convenience)
If you have old hardened clay.. you can soften it again quickly and easily using this How to Soften Air Drying Clay method – remember you will need 2-3 days for this method, so check on your clay before you plan to use it!
How to Make Apple Pinch Pots – easy pinch pots for Fall
Watch the video on auto play or follow the step by step instructions!