Easy 3D Paper Unicorn Decoration
Paper crafts rock. And Unicorns are simply magical!! We love the rainbows, we love the sparkle, we love the magic!! We adore easy Unicorn Crafts for Kids. Once again, we have a super duper cute 3d Paper Unicorn Decoration for you..
As you know we adore Paper Decorations for all year round.. and have a special set of 3D “Paper Baubles” for all seasons (we rather love the Paper Flamingos for Summer). These Paper Unicorns are once again easy to make – you can make them from scratch as per our instructions below, or we have also created a handy little Paper Unicorn Template for you – depending on how much time you have to hand. This little Unicorn decorations look great all year round, but would make a great Paper Christmas Ornament too I think.
Once we made this Unicorn DIY.. I realised it would also be the most adorable 3D Unicorn Card for unicorn lovers.. so we made one of those for you too!!! Enjoy. The printables below are for BOTH the baubles and the Unicorn Cards!
If you love this darling Pop Up Unicorn Card.. you may also like to check out our “Colourful Secret Unicorn Notebook“:
3D Paper Unicorn Decorations – Materials
- One sheet of white A4 paper (we used printer paper)
- Some coloured paper scraps (or use pens to decorate some white paper)
- Some gold paper (or use silver foil or make your unicorn horn pink!)
- Glue stick
- Bakers Twiner for hanging (we used this gorgeous Blue & White Twine US/ UK (affiliate links))
- Pens for decorating
I have created a handy 6 page printable lesson plan, worksheets and 3 different versions of the printable for easy use in the classroom. Head to Teacher’s Pay Teachers to download it today.
(ignore the cloud, it is for the Unicorn Cards mentioned earlier)
How to make a Paper Unicorn
Please watch the video or follow the Paper Unicorn Step by Step Instructions below!
Preparing the Paper Unicorn Head
As mentioned – there is now a printable PDF to help you with this craft!
- Sketch out your unicorn head or use our unicorn template. You will need 2 of these facing in opposite directions (draw one, get two pieces of paper, cut 2 at the same time.. flip one over)
- Add details in pen – e.g. for the ear, eyes and nose
- Now it is time to cute some rainbow paper strips – I cute red, orange, yellow, green and blue – I made them very narrow – 2mm wide and about 3-4 cm long (but you will trim them later).
- Add a little glue to your unicorn head… and start sticking down your main. Stick it as neatly to the edges as you can as sometimes the line is visible through the white paper.
- Add the a golden horn
- Add some extra main to the other side of the horn, so it matches both sides. Trim the mane if need be!
- Glue on your second head piece, so that your paper unicorn is pretty on both sides.
The Unicorn head is now finished.
Preparing the Paper Unicorn Tail
- A an extra red, orange, yellow, green and blue strip of paper – again approximately 2mm wide and 3-4 cm long and put those to one side
Preparing the Paper Unicorn Legs
- Cut strips of white paper 1cm wide and 2-3 cms long.
- Cut gold strips of paper – approximately 1cm wide 1.5cm long. Fold in half. You don’t have to use the gold, you can use pens to draw on some hooves too.
- Glue over the bottom of the white strips of paper to form a golden hoof. Trim to neaten.
- Put to one side.
Make your Paper Unicorn “Bauble” Body
- Cut 9-10 white circles (you can use our template for size)
- Fold the circles in half.
- Add glue to one half of the circle and lay a second circle on top.
- Continue until all half circles a stuck together.
- Now cut a longish piece of bakers twine – measure it against the bauble and head to see that it is long enough for hanging. Double it and make a knot one end.
- Add LOTS of glue to the spine of the bauble, as well as one side of the bauble. Place your Unicorn Tail pieces on the paper to have a “pointing up” tail. Add your Bakers Twine to the centre of the spine.
- Now take the first piece of paper and contect to the last piece. You should now have a paper bauble, with a rainbow tail and hanging from Baker’s twine!
Final Assembly of your Paper Unicorn
- For the last step, take your unicorn head you made earlier. Find the paper bauble part that is more or less opposite the tail and glue into position.
- Finally add one leg to the segment where the tail is, one leg to segment where the head is.
Your lovely paper unicorn decoration is FINISHED!!!
If you are making this as Christmas Ornament.. you may want to check our full DIY Ornament Collection here – in particularly the basic Paper Baubles and the Paper Snowman Baubles:
Alternatively, if you are looking at this at any other time of the year.. you may also like our:
The Paper Unicorn Decoration video is also available on YouTube: