A quick and fun Halloween Craft for you – the tissue paper jar lanterns – these easy Halloween Lanterns for preschoolers will have you making more and more. These are also in my Red Ted Art Book – a crafty book with our favourite craft ideas for younger kids and crafting together!! Do take a peak at it!
I am not surprised that these are so popular in the U.S. they are fun, easy and quick to make… as well as being nice and safe for small hands too! I have a super helpful post on how to remove sticky labels if you want to check that out first! And some great Autumn Crafts for Preschoolers that are easy and fun too!
These Jack O’Lanterns for Halloween was first published in October 2011 and has been updated and republished for yoru convenience (and we still have these lanterns.. 7yrs later!! Woohoo!)
Easy Halloween Lanterns – Materials
- Clean Jam Jar (the bigger the better),
- orange or yellow tissue paper (I recycled some from a present – but you can get it here US/ UK),
- decoupage glue or PVA watered down (decoupage glue here US/ UK),
- black paper,
- paint brush,
- candle or electric tea light (get tealights here US/ UK)
Affiliate links added for convenience!
Oh and look at this WONDERFUL set of Halloween Luminaries sent in by a reader!! ADORE!!!!!
Easy Halloween Lantern How To
As per usual you can watch this handy little video (and see how very easy they really are.. or follow the written instructions below!
(or if you want a giggle.. see my OLD OLD OLD video on this starring a lovely 3yrs old Red Ted !!)
How to make a Tissue Paper Jack O’Lantern Step By Step Instructions
- Make sure you jars are cleaned properly (read how to remove sticky labels here!)
- Cut your tissue paper into squares – 2inch x 2inch is good)
- Cover the glass in glue and start applying your tissue paper
- You will need 3-4 layers – lighter colours like yellow, will need more.
- Keep adding glue as necessary
- Cut out some Jack O’Lanter faces out of black paper
- Use your decoupage glue and glue them one
- Finally, add a final coat of glue and let dry fully!
More fantastic Halloween Crafts for Preschoolers: