A quick and fun Halloween Craft for you – the tissue paper jar lanterns – these easy Halloween Lanterns for preschoolers will have you making more and more. I am not surprised that these are so popular in the U.S. they are fun, easy and quick to make… as well as being nice and safe for small hands too! I have a super helpful post on how to remove sticky labels if you want to check that out first! And some great Autumn Crafts for Preschoolers that are easy and fun too!
Easy Halloween Lanterns – Materials
- Clean Jam Jar (the bigger the better),
- orange or yellow tissue paper (I recycled some from a present – but you can get it here US/ UK),
- decoupage glue or PVA watered down (decoupage glue here US/ UK),
- black paper,
- paint brush,
- candle or electric tea light (get tealights here US/ UK)
Affiliate links added for convenience!
Easy Halloween Lantern How To
As per usual you can watch this handy little video (and see how very easy they really are.. or follow the written instructions below!
(or if you want a giggle.. see my OLD OLD OLD video on this starring a lovely 3yrs old Red Ted !!)
- Make sure you jars are cleaned properly (read how to remove sticky labels here!)
- Cut your tissue paper into squares – 2inch x 2inch is good)
- Cover the glass in glue and start applying your tissue paper
- You will need 3-4 layers – lighter colours like yellow, will need more.
- Keep adding glue as necessary
- Cut out some Jack O’Lanter faces out of black paper
- Use your decoupage glue and glue them one
- Finally, add a final coat of glue and let dry fully!
We have had ours for about 4 years now and the jars are still going strong. They look fabulous and are so easy and fun to make!
And check out this version of Luminaries from Crafts by Amanda using paints instead of tissue paper:
And here are more fab Mod Podge Crafts for Kids!