Hooray it is Melty Beads Crafts time!!! Some may know of these as Hama Beads and others as Perler Beads… in essence they are the little plastic beads that you put on peg boards to make a pattern and then iron so they “melt together” and fix into a permanent shape. Many parents, hate them. I have no idea why – as they are so bright and colourful and my kids ADORE THEM. They are great for fine motor skills and I have to say, though you are “restricted” to the use of pre shaped peg boards, my kids are showing a lot of creativity with them and creating their own little creatures and shapes. You can get Hama Beads in most craft stores, Amazon or ebay!
Top tip: Hama Bead creations do sometimes “break apart”, it is worth ironing them on BOTH sides to make them nice and strong.
Our Hama Bead Crafts video
Once again in order of appearance
1) Melty Bead Bowls from Red Ted Art – we think these make great gifts for kids to make on Father’s Day or for Christmas – perfect for key or loose change holding
2) Hama Bead Greeting Cards, again from us here at Red Ted Art, a great way to, uhm, share all your Hama Bead creations with friends and relatives – especially delicate ones that may break.
4) I love Zing Zing Tree’s approach of incorporating your Hama Bead creations into mix media collages – turning your craft project into a great Art Project.
5) Domestic Goddesque went “free style” showing us that you can also created WITHOUT using a peg board. But be warned, this is a little bit more fiddly and no doubt best for older kids!
6) Here come the Girls made cute little birthday cards AND I love the idea of adding Perler Bead designs to hairclips. Pip Squeak is going to be over the moon.
7) Oh, very simply.. and shown in the video, we also used the perler beads as well, beads. And made a simple necklace. The kids thought it was rather great – must be all those pretty colours.
In addition to the video above, we have:
8) I do LOVE the necklace that Mark Montano made using Zip Ties to make a necklace. Genius and so pretty!!
9) Another clever necklace ideas is Mod Cloth’s wonderful creation, take a peak! Very designer on trend!
10) Plus 2 point 4 didn’t make it to the hangout (we had technical issues, ba humbug), but she still has some great hama bead creations on her blog, my favourite being the TARDIS Hama Beads.
11) Love the Hama Bead Weaving that Mini Eco has created -either as bracelets or little tea light holders!
12) And did you know that Perler Beads make a GREAT decoration for head phones. Genius idea from Dollar Store Crafts!
13) Also love the Hama Bead “Boxes” – great for holidng pens or other bits and pieces!
14) How about some melted Melty Bead Bracelets? Love these! But getting the melty bit right is a little tricky!
15) Or use the Melty Bead and Cookie Cutter Ornament technique to make shapes in Autumn or Winter!
16) Or try creating your own Perler Bead Snowflakes (Image only provided here).
17) And of course the “classic” Hama Bead squares make great Coaster Gifts for Daddy. A while back we went retro and made SPACE INVADERS coasters!
Don’t forget to order your batch of Hama Beads today!