Kids Crafts: Easter Bonnets - Red Ted Art's Blog : Red Ted Art's Blog

Kids Crafts: Easter Bonnets

| March 7, 2012 | 36 Comments

sheep craftHello! Welcome to Kids Get Crafty and our Easter Bonnets or Newspaper Hats!! We did make them for the Easter Bonnet season that is just around the corner… but I think these hats, especially Pip Squeak’s would be fun to make at any time of year! They were really inexpensive to make… we used recycled materials from around the home – I particularly like saving tissue paper from presents – it really means you have a huge stack of tissue in all sorts of colours and it is ideal for crafting with kids! Anyway, I digress… onwards to our Easter Bonnets & Newspaper Hats!

easy easter bonnets

Materials:

For the hat: Newspapers, paint, masking tape

For the decorations:

Flowers: Tissue paper, glue, beads.

Mini Easter Eggs: Newspaper scarps, tissue paper, glue

Rooster & Hen - check out our Easter Egg post to see how me made these! They are adorable, easy, fast and we lots of fun!

easter bonnets easy

1) Paint two sheets of news paper in your desired colour. We did two sheets to give the hat more body and also, so that you get colour on both sides… however, should your hat get wet, you may end up with a red rim around you head.. I am not sure! So really.. you can paint just the one sheet if you wish! Our sheet paint was “team work”, as we don’t have enough space to do all at once. But it was lovely to paint together.

newspaper hat

2) Once dry, cut out a circle. The easiest way, was to fold the paper twice and cut out a quarter.

newspaper hat (2)

3) Place the paper on top the child’s head, fold down and tape round with masking tape. Then fold up the sides. You may want to practice with some “non painted” newspaper first and save the coloured paper for last.

newspaper hat easy

HAT DONE! And you can use this hat for any situation! Doesn’t need to be for Easter Bonnets, could be for a fancy dress party or “just because”.

tissue paper flowers

Make some flowers and eggs:

1) We made some flowers – I thought that an Easter Bonnet should have Spring flowers. We ended up using them all on Pip Squeak’s hat, as Red Ted only wanted leaves and eggs! But that is fine by me. To make the Spring flowers, we used 4 sheets of oval tissue paper and a bead. And just stuck them all together with PVA. You don’t need much glue to get the tissue paper to stick. We used oval paper, so that they over lap a little like petals. Once stuck, we scrunched them up a bit. Cut some leaves and add to your hat!

tissue paper eggs

2) Mini Easter Eggs – as mentioned Red Ted wanted lots of eggs on his. He started sticking on lots of leaves too. I rather liked his idea – as it made his head look a bit like a nest! Cute! To make the mini Easter eggs, we scrunched up newspaper in a mini egg shape. Added glue to your tissue paper and wrapped it around. Then we let them dry.

easter bonnets

easy easter bonnets

3) Here is Red Ted’s “nest” including our Rooster & Hen Easter Eggs.

easy easter bonnets

Done. You have your bonnets. Enjoy!

sheep craft

The Kids Get Crafty party is co-hosted by Creative with Kids, bringing you more readers and more ideas to browse!

If you have been crafty with your kid’s be it at home, in the kitchen or outdoors, I would love for you to link up:

What do you think? Like them? Hope you do! As you know, you can find lots more Easter ideas  here on Red Ted Art.

Tags: , , , , ,

Category: Costumes, Easter, Flowers, Kids Craft, Recycling

1. Honest Mum says:

Just gorgeous. Remind me of floppy \’Blossom\’ style hats I was obsessed with aged 12.

Aaah thank you so much. We were very pleased with them. The kids seem to really like them, but don’t actually wear them much!!

2. artsy_momma says:

How adorable are those! I especially love the pretty flowers around it and that both are very different!

3. Esther says:

How cute! Love their pictures with the hats

4. shanel says:

I love these bonnets. I wil be recreating them with my daughter. So easy and creative, thank you for sharing xoxo

5. Roopa says:

These hats look lovely, especially love ur little girls hat!! We need to make one or maybe two (one for myself too) :))
    Thanks for sharing

6. These hats are too cute! We\’ll definitely be making these – the girls with absolutely love them.

7. Carolina J. says:

They look superb! How clever!

8. Didi says:

Great idea! I love how you added the little birds on top, and the tissue paper flowers are so delicate and pretty. These would be perfect for a garden party too!

9. What wonderful fun! These will engage children, allow adorable photos, and be fun to hang on the kid\’s bedroom walls as decor. Very nice. Thanks so much, Carolyn

10. The Monko says:

wow they look great, i love the frill on the orange one. I wonder if i could convince my son to wear one

11. Rebeca says:

I would never have thought to use newspaper to make bonnets, but they look amazing! Might be trying this out too!

12. mermaid says:

Very nice bonnets. Love them!

13. Beckky says:

I love that they are truly recycled an bespoke jst as kids carfts should be . Utterly fab as ever

14. Wow – these are so much fancier than any newspaper hats we made when I was a kid! Great job, all!

15. Terri says:

Oh my… these are so adorable! I love them!

16. Brittany says:

Darling! I can\’t wait to make some with my girls! Thanks for sharing AND thanks for hosting! Hope your week is lovely. :)

Aaaah you guys are lovely. Thank you so much for all your kind words!!!

18. lyndsay says:

Seriously Maggy – these are brilliant and I am making these tomorrow! If I can\’t get Aodhan to wear it, then I am!!! All the way downtown!

I would LOVE to see you hat!!!! Sadly I measured the kids hats on their heads, so I can’t wear them (a bit small)… but I try!! Will have to make another for me!!

19. emma says:

inspired, I just love them

20. Didi says:

Hi Maggy- I\’ve already gushed to you once about how much I love, love, love these fancy hats…but I\’m going to gush one more time. These are wonderful! Thanks for sharing this creative idea at the Kid\’s Co-op this week.

21. these are absolutely adorable….love them!!

22. H. Rae says:

Oh my! How I would have loved these as a kid! Would you come and link up at my party, Make-It-Yourself Monday at anoriginalbelle.blogspot.com? These are too stunning not to share!

Thanks and happy Monday to you!

23. LOVE these! Thanks for linking to Science sparks.

Emma

24. those hats are amazing, who would have thought, from newspaper! thanks so much for sharing on Craft Schooling Sunday!

25. Peaches says:

This is such a cute idea. I wish I had a whole gaggle of little girls to share it with :)

26. Pinkoddy says:

Brilliant – I had a similar idea but thought I\’d have to papier mache it. Shall be making these for the competition at playgroup – wish them luck.

Oh my! I am so excited for you!!! Would love to see a picture of them all in hats! :-) good luck!

28. Lanetta Sprott says:

What a clever idea! Thank you for sharing! I’ve included your link within today’s blog article because hats are a must for a Tea Party! Yes! In celebration of National Doll Day – the 1st Sunday in August, I’m inviting everyone to a Virtual Tea Party. The article provides ideas, suggestions and yours is the first hat offered!

29. Judy says:

These are wonderful. I have been making similar hats from the colored craft paper and have even used wrapping paper. For boys I make cowboy and pirate type hats. You can glue almost anything on them!! I started when my daughter was in kindergarten and she is now 30.