Hello! Welcome to Kids Get Crafty and our Easter Bonnets or Newspaper Hats!! It is amazing what clever Newspaper DIYs are out there! Working with newspaper is fun, versatile and thrifty!! Back to our newspaper hats – we did make them for the Easter Bonnet season that is just around the corner… but I think these hats, especially Pip Squeak’s would be fun to make at any time of year! They were really inexpensive to make… we used recycled materials from around the home – I particularly like saving tissue paper from presents – it really means you have a huge stack of tissue in all sorts of colours and it is ideal for crafting with kids! Anyway, I digress… onwards to our Easter Bonnets & Newspaper Hats!
(PS here is one of our other FAVOURITE thrifty DIY Dress Up ideas!!)
Newspaper Hats / Easter Bonnets Materials:
For the paper hat itself:
- masking tape
For the decorations:
- Tissue paper,
Mini Easter Eggs:
- Newspaper scarps,
- tissue paper,
Newspaper Hats / Easter Bonnets How To:
Rooster & Hen – check out our Easter Egg post to see how me made these! They are adorable, easy, fast and we lots of fun!
1) Paint two sheets of news paper in your desired colour. We did two sheets to give the hat more body and also, so that you get colour on both sides… however, should your hat get wet, you may end up with a red rim around you head.. I am not sure! So really.. you can paint just the one sheet if you wish! Our sheet paint was “team work”, as we don’t have enough space to do all at once. But it was lovely to paint together.
2) Once dry, cut out a circle. The easiest way, was to fold the paper twice and cut out a quarter.
3) Place the paper on top the child’s head, fold down and tape round with masking tape. Then fold up the sides. You may want to practice with some “non painted” newspaper first and save the coloured paper for last.
HAT DONE! And you can use this hat for any situation! Doesn’t need to be for Easter Bonnets, could be for a fancy dress party or “just because”.
Make some flowers and eggs:
1) We made some flowers – I thought that an Easter Bonnet should have Spring flowers. We ended up using them all on Pip Squeak’s hat, as Red Ted only wanted leaves and eggs! But that is fine by me. To make the Spring flowers, we used 4 sheets of oval tissue paper and a bead. And just stuck them all together with PVA. You don’t need much glue to get the tissue paper to stick. We used oval paper, so that they over lap a little like petals. Once stuck, we scrunched them up a bit. Cut some leaves and add to your hat!
2) Mini Easter Eggs – as mentioned Red Ted wanted lots of eggs on his. He started sticking on lots of leaves too. I rather liked his idea – as it made his head look a bit like a nest! Cute! To make the mini Easter eggs, we scrunched up newspaper in a mini egg shape. Added glue to your tissue paper and wrapped it around. Then we let them dry.
3) Here is Red Ted’s “nest” including our Rooster & Hen Easter Eggs.
Done. You have your bonnets. Enjoy! What do you think? Like them?
Now we have more fabulous ideas for you here on Red Ted Art, do take a peak:
More fabulous Newspaper DIYs
Great Easter Baskets Crafts